Friday 23 October 2009

It's Broadway!

Just a quick post this time to talk about my first ever Broadway experience...

So, the story starts 2 months ago, when at the International Orientation at Rutgers we had the chance to buy a Broadway Ticket for the Lion King or Billy Elliot. As luck, or rather lack of luck, would have it - me, Vukosi and Simon just missed out on the tickets - by about 3 people… Considering there were a good one or two hundred tickets it was *really* annoying that we missed out.

However, a couple of weeks ago it was announced that anyone that didn't get a ticket in the orientation would have a chance to get another ticket, this time to the Lion King or Mamma Mia. Needless to say, I didn't particularly want to see Mamma Mia, but I've always wanted to see the Lion King so thought this would be my chance. This time I made sure that I was one of the first in line and got my ticket for $25. Now to put this in perspective, the ticket included transport both to New York and back which would usually cost $17, so the actual ticket for the show cost me a grand total of $8 ≈ £5. NOw in the West End if you're really lucky you can get tickets to shows for £15, but on Broadway the cheapest Lion King tickets are $60 - So I saved at least £30!

So that's how I ended up on a coach last night with Tarek, Simon, Berna, Natalia and other international students. I've never experienced going to New York by road and, to be honest, I don't really fancy doing it again! The roads were crazily busy, before we were even halfway there we were gridlocked and it continued all the way to Broadway.

We got dropped out straight outside the Minskoff Theatre - the home of the Lion King on Broadway. Now most theaters in the West End I've been to are decorated to match the show - the Phantom of the Opera was like a Parisian opera house, Wicked had everything green, but they were nothing compared to this! There were full scale costumes, a mask that must have been at least 20ft tall, and everything was gold or orange.

We headed into the theatre and were shown to our seats. We may have been in the 2nd last row on the upper level, but we were smack-bang centre and had a perfect view. The seats were a lot bigger and comfier than on West End, and the leg room was amazing! The theatre was huge, and on each side of the stage, where the boxes are usually, there were two booths where the percussionists were, which was really cool as throughout the night you could see them play bongos, djembes, gongs and everything else in between.

Before we knew it, the lights dimmed, the curtain lifted, and the first sounds of 'Circle of Life' started…

I can't begin to describe what the experience was like - it really is something that has to be seen to be believed. The costumes were amazing - they captured the essence of the animals perfectly, and were ingenious. 'Elephants' and 'rhinos' walked through the aisles, 'birds' flew above our heads and 'gazelles' leaped all over the stage. The staging was incredible, with had the stage tilting, staircases emerging from the floor, people 'swinging from the trees' and the canyon scene was one of the best things I've ever seen in a theater. When the scenery first appeared for it, I was a bit disappointed - it looked like 3 MDF wedge cut outs with a box in front. I couldn't really see how this was going to replicated a stampede, but then suddenly wildebeest appeared *everywhere*. It was stunning, and that's all I can say to describe it.

The characters were all really well developed, Timon and Pumbaa were hilarious, Scar was fantastically devilish, and the adult Simba, adult Nala and Rafiki had stunning voices. I suppose I shouldn't expect otherwise from a Broadway show, but every single person was a fantastic singer as well as dancer, gymnast and puppeteer. I did feel kind of sorry for the people who were dressed as grass - seems like a bit of a crap part, but I suppose if you're in a Broadway show you can't complain! The music was also fantastic. The original soundtrack to the film was pretty damn good, and the new songs fitted in well and really fleshed out the storyline.

To try and demonstrate what it's like, here's a clip of the 'circle of life' scene from their performance at the Tony Awards… (so add to this a revolving staircase rising from the floor and half the stage rising up and you're getting close to what it was like last night):



I'm not even going to attempt to carry on articulating my night - needless to say it was amazing, and one I will definitely remember and gladly repeat! I'll try and post another update soon - I'm going to write one on KEEN, the charity I'm volunteering at in New York, but I've got a midterm coming up so it depends how much I can pry myself away from revision...

Later Days

No comments:

Post a Comment